Father Austin Film Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sci Fi Question

+4
tori w
Prajwitha28
sabrinaDewes
Polidano
8 posters

Go down

Sci Fi Question Empty Sci Fi Question

Post  Polidano Thu May 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Which of the science fiction films viewed in class did you enjoy most and why? Do you prefer sci-fi films that depict aliens as friend or as foe?

Polidano
Admin

https://film.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Sci Fi Question Empty Cocoon is the best

Post  sabrinaDewes Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 am

Out of all the sci-fi films we watched in class, I enjoyed Cocoon the most. I loved the overall concept of the movie, these men in their golden years long to re-live their youth and are granted with the "fountain of youth". I also love the lesson that I learned from the movie: "Live life to the fullest". It is a great representation of how precious life is to us and most people do not even know what they are missing out on until it is too late. The contrasting of emotions in the film is pretty intense with people dying in the old folks home, to Art, Ben and Joe bowling with their wives. It truly is an emotional rollercoaster which is something I enjoy. The portrayal of the aliens is pretty out of this world tongue . I have never seen this film before Film studies so I was not really expecting glowing, flying aliens however, I was not disappointed at all. The whole aliens being undercover is a pretty cool idea because it could leave the audience with suspicious thought on the world around them like "Is my mailman REALLY a human?" affraid . Personally, I prefer movies where aliens are our friend because it is nicer to believe, if the aliens are being depicted in a good manner then any depiction of aliens would work.

sabrinaDewes

Back to top Go down

Sci Fi Question Empty Re: Sci Fi Question

Post  Prajwitha28 Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:37 pm

Out of all the Sci-Fi films we watched in class, I enjoyed The E.T. the most; because the film ET was very emotional, funny and had a good moral message. The alien itself was very friendly with Elliot which made the film sooo family type (i don't know how to name it). Not only it was friendly, we as the audience learnt the meaning of good friendship. In the film, ET, Elliot and Et became good friends; Elliot taught et how to speak, and so on. Even the colour of the film made it soooooooo powerful that it made the whole movie as a home-like
Personally, I would prefer aliens as friends because I hate the ones that are creepy and the ones who try to kill people. jocolor jocolor jocolor

Prajwitha28

Back to top Go down

Sci Fi Question Empty RE: Sci Fi Questiom

Post  tori w Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Of the sci-fi films, we watched in class Alien was my favourite by far. I very much enjoyed the overall feel of the movie. The entire movie had a very eerie that effectively kept me on edge waiting for the next thing to happen. This is also accomplished without the use of unnesscessary just great creation of suspense and tension. It's a great example of how horror should be done. I also really liked the concept of the Xenomorph in Alien. The alien is so strange and creepy. the concept of an alien creature attaching itself to its victims face and pushing an egg down its throat to later be "born" by bursting through their chest is terrifying and incredibly unique. I think I prefer seeing aliens as foes in movies. There is so much potential for horror when dealing with aliens and this idea of the unknown which is why I enjoy aliens as foe more than as friends.

tori w

Back to top Go down

Post  JackFischer Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Out of the sci fi films that we watched in class, my favourite was Alien. I like the dark atmosphere that was created. That made me on the edge of my seat for the whole movie waiting to see what will happen next. A lot of the movie is the unknown, and with the audience not seeing the alien for most of the movie, we are scared to see it. The Alien creates this movie as a horror film because we can’t see it and we don’t know where it will go next. I prefer sci fi movies to have the aliens as a foe because if you have an alien attacking a group and not knowing where it is, has a lot of potential to be a great horror film.
JackFischer
JackFischer

Back to top Go down

Post  paulasojor Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Having watched 'E.T.' years ago, my younger self was initially frightened by the alien. After viewing the film in class, I have come to the conclusion that it has a universal and subliminal message all can relate to. Steven Spielberg depicts aliens in a contradicting way compared to other Sci-Fi films. Through the casting of children, Spielberg directs the film from an innocent and playful point of view; allowing the alien himself to become easily befriended. I think the film is comedic, emotional and is relevant to almost all ages. Spielberg's composition of shots in particular adds to the dramatic elements of the film and keeps the viewers attentive and following the story line. E.T.'s powerful message, music and sets all kept me engaged and constantly connecting with the characters. For these reasons, 'E.T.' is my favourite Sci-Fi film studied in class.

paulasojor

Back to top Go down

Post  gabriella velante Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Out of all the films we have watched in class I think that I enjoyed watching Cocoon the most. The movie had a very interesting view on aliens because of the different thought of them visually. The stereotypical alien is green with an interesting head shape, although in cocoon the aliens looked human like even when they removed their masks. The cocoon aliens were there to help themselves, although were still kind to the other human characters in the film. After watching many sci-fi and films that dealt with aliens, I think that I liked the ones that involved the aliens to help others instead of there to destroy them. The reason I would prefer this type of alien view is because of the thought of if aliens are real in our universe, then it wouldn’t be a hard concept to understand if it were true.

Sent from Topic'it App

gabriella velante

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendan schuck Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Personally, my favourite sci-fi film that we viewed in class is E.T. E.T was a very entertaining film, it had many comedic moments and utilized the “fish out of water” concept very well. The relationships in the movie are also fleshed out and believable. Eliot’s relationship with his brother feels very realistic. Eliot and E.T also share a very special bond which makes E.T’s eventual departure all the more sad. Personally I prefer when aliens are depicted as benevolent beings because I like to believe that if there are aliens out there that they would be kind, and help the human race advance. Also I find that most depictions of “evil” aliens are very creepy and scary which I do not like.

Sent from Topic'it App

Brendan schuck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down