The Shining - What do you think?

Go down

The Shining - What do you think?

Post  Polidano on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:33 am

We touched upon this in class....but why do you think Jack Torrence's likeness is seen in the picture of the Overlook during the 1921 July 4th ball?

Polidano
Admin

View user profile http://film.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shining - What do you think?

Post  Qeisiehs on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:55 am

Jack Torrence’s likeness has been seen in the overlook hotel on July 4th 1921 with many people surrounding him and he is the main person in the shot sitting right front and center because people thought of him as just a guest a very likeable guest and didn’t see what’s underneath he would act like he is this nice lovable person but on the inside he was a miserable person who felt trapped. He was a recreation of himself living his same life over and over at the overlook hotel, which made him feel trapped and with that everyone would like him and get used to the fact that he is there.

Sent from Topic'it App

Qeisiehs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Pile on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:26 pm

The reason Jack Torrance is inside the picture is because he was been there before. Jack keeps on being reincarnated and brought back to the hotel since it is apart of him. We can see Jack in the film discussing how he loves the hotel and feels like home, this is because Jack and the hotel have a connection. He is reincarnated over and over again and is back at this hotel, which creates the idea that maybe the Overlook has the power to recall it;s reincarnated guests and employees. Jack's spirit is doomed inside the hotel forever, and it seems that he is another victim that is trapped at the Overlook.

Liam Pile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Shining

Post  PatrickMitchell on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:40 pm

The Shining is a film of full of questions and ambiguities. What is the true secret of room 237? Who is Danny’s imaginary friend, Tony? Is the Overlook hotel really haunted or was it just hallucinations created by the Torrance’s? The most pressing question is: why was Jack in the staff photo of the Overlook Hotel on July 4th, 1921? Jack Torrance’s likeliness is seen in the staff picture of the Overlook Hotel as Jack is the reincarnation of the previous hotel caretaker which is proven through conversations with Grady and Wendy. The first piece of evidence happens when Jack uses his shining ability to join a roaring gala in the ballroom. There, he has a conversation with butler, Delbert Grady. Grady explains to Jack that he has always been a resident of the hotel for as long as he can remember. “No sir, you’re the caretaker. You’ve always been the caretaker. I ought to know. I’ve always been here” (The Shining, 1980). This lends proof to the reincarnation theory as it seems all members of the hotel are fated to be pulled back into the hotel in each of there next lives. Such is shown with Grady, who was a butler in the 20s and was reincarnated decades later in the same position. The second piece of evidence towards the reincarnation theory happens when Jack and Wendy are talking at breakfast. Upon Wendy asking what her husband thinks of the hotel, he replies “When I came up here for my interview, it was as though I had been here before. I mean, we all have moments of 'Deja-vu,' but this was ridiculous.” (The Shining, 1980) This Déjà vu feeling could be explained as Jack returning to the place he has been several times in previous lives. Jack had been born, raised and lured to the hotel many times in his past that he has become aware of it. Jack Torrance was, still is and will always be the caretaker of the Overlook hotel, no matter which life he lives. He is doomed to be stuck within the walls of the Overlook forever.

-Patrick Mitchell

PatrickMitchell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum