Colorizing Classic Films

Go down

Colorizing Classic Films

Post  Polidano on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:41 am

Do you think it is alright to "colorize" classic films?  Why or why not?  To take it one step further....is it alright to make any changes to films once it has been theatrically released? Explain your position

Polidano
Admin

View user profile http://film.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Colorizing Classic Films

Post  mattiodapattio on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:48 pm

I think that with permission from the original creator that there is no problem with colorizing or making any changes to films that have already been released. This is because it causes no harm, nothing to lose everything to gain. If people don't like the new version they can always just watch the old one. Plus some people who dont like old movies can experience the film in a way they can enjoy. This just gets the film more fans with no set backs and gives the film another chance to be appreciated in a different way. -Matthew Fernandes

Sent from Topic'it App

mattiodapattio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiamPile on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:45 am

Yes, I think it’s a good idea to colorize classic films with permission from the creator. Why is because they can keep these classic films relevant. Some of these films are important to cinema history and should be awknowledged for there impact in the film industry. Since some of the younger generation does not appreciate black and white films, putting them in colour can make people want to watch it more. This can have a new generation watch these old classics and appreciate them.

LiamPile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisn on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 am

Do I think it is alright to "colorize" classic films? Yes I think it is perfectly fine. I feel like it’s just making it better because back then they couldn’t have color obviously so now that it does actually have color it’s improving it. Is it alright to make any changes to films once it has been theatrically released? If you aren’t changing the movie drastically, if you’re just adding color or something little to make it a bit better I don’t think it’s a problem. Having colour adds to the experience because I think people would like to know what colours are being used in the films they have watched. Colour can also add more expression and give the movie a different feel. They can use certain colour to make main characters stand out more from the crowd. It also emphasizes emotions. Characters might get angry and their face would go red, but you wouldn’t know that if the movie was not colourized.

chrisn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Justinmarcus on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:56 am

I think that it is alright for classic films to be remade in colour, but it has to feel natural for the movie setting. The colouring of Angels with Dirty Faces felt natural for the genre and story of a gangster movie because it wasn’t extremely colourful like wizard of oz. With the scene that was used as an example for this question, the colours felt right for the scene since the kids received money from rocky and spent it on expensive and colourful clothes which made the room pop in colour. They also shouldn’t make changes to actual characters looks. If they were to just randomly change a character’s skin colour, it changes the movie, even more than colouring it. If they stay true to the movie and make the colours feel natural to the setting, then making classic films coloured is completely fine.

Sent from Topic'it App
Justinmarcus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura_B on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:15 pm

I think it is all right to colourize classic films. As technology evolves different options come available that were not offered when the classics originally came out. I believe that making changes to films that already came out is an away to advance and make the old films better. By upgrading old films younger generations will take more of an interest in the classics. Also those who do not enjoy the colourized version can just watch the original. In conclusion, I believe that making changes to films is a way to enhance and make the films more modern.

Laura_B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Qeisiehs on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 am

I think colorizing classic film with the permission of the producer would be a great idea because not a lot of kids and adults watch back and white films and colorizing them can get they’re attention enough to watch it. It is a good way to present something in the future and will bring its name a higher resemblance. Having it black and white is plain but with having colours it shows effect and more texture in the films. Colouring classic films would make classic films look better and entertaining .

Sent from Topic'it App

Qeisiehs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden P on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:46 am

I don't think you should colorize films. In my opinion the originality of older colorless in uncanny. One of the reasons that people watch black and white movies are for the classic old feel of movies. Older films are relics, and sure be treated with the respect that they deserve. I for one truly enjoy the feel of classic films, and hope that they still stay the same, and as great as they have always been.

Sent from Topic'it App
Hayden P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Angels With Dirty Faces

Post  PatrickMitchell on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Hollywood has an obsession with altering movie classics and marketing them as an improved version of the original. In my opinion, classic films such as Angels with Dirty Faces should not be altered from their original release as it ruins the integrity of the film. When films are changed it alters the director’s original purpose and vision. When a creator makes a film it can reflect their thoughts, feelings, and views on people, places or things at that point in time so changing a film severs that connection. An example of this is at the end of Angels with Dirty Faces as Rocky is being put to death. This is a dark and depressing moment that is ruined by bright pastel colors from the new colorized version and it destroys the creator’s intention for a moody atmosphere. The updated colorized version ruins the integrity of the scene and destroys the mood that had been intended by the movie’s director. Updated films often replace and discontinue the original. This a huge problem for maintaining films in the future. An example of this is the Star Wars special editions which have added a large amount of CGI and character changes as well as made the original theatrical versions challenging to find. When you alter a classic, you run the risk of making the original obsolete. This is a threat to the movie industry because it is slowly destroying the history of film. The movie industry boasts new and improved versions of classic films as better than the original. In reality, they are ruining the vision of the original filmmaker and they run the risk of altering the history of film. The truth is the new films are an attempt by the movie industry to generate revenue.

-Patrick Mitchell

PatrickMitchell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jessvautour on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:31 pm

i think it’s okay to colourize classic films. as long as nothing in the film is being altered extremely i don’t think there is anything wrong with it. there is nothing to lose or gain by colouring it. some people may be very against colourize a classic fim but if they do it like it they can simply watch the original. some people would rather watch a movie incomour so why not appeal to both audiences and have one in colour and one in b&w

jessvautour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down