Father Austin Film Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Origin story or no origin story??

+6
Monahan
mattiodapattio
danny_76
Julia S
Isabella_Smith
Polidano
10 posters

Go down

Origin story or no origin story?? Empty Origin story or no origin story??

Post  Polidano Thu May 03, 2018 11:14 am

Do you prefer an "origin" story, like "Spider-Man" and "Iron Man", where the fully realized hero isn't seen until an hour into the film OR do you prefer to jump right into the action, as seen in The X-Men? From a story telling point of view, which is more effective in your opinion and why? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of each?

Polidano
Admin

https://film.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Origin story or no origin story?? Empty Re: Origin story or no origin story??

Post  Isabella_Smith Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 pm

I prefer having an origin story because although action is cool, i really like seeing the background information of each of the characters. In X-men you don't really know a whole lot about what each of the characters went through to get where they are now, and not too much information related to the pasts of the characters are revealed till much later. In Spider-Man and Iron Man we become attached to the characters more easily because we know what they are like before they became more powerful. Also, we get to see their story and how they got where they were. I feel like providing that extra origin information is what gets me hooked on a superhero, knowing what they are like before they got their powers. Although it also leaves you with some mystery if you don't provide any, it leaves you with a lot of unanswered questions when the movie is over.
Isabella_Smith
Isabella_Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia S Thu May 03, 2018 6:18 pm

I prefer origin stories better because having a characters backstory is an important key in creating attachment to the characters. In a movie like spider man and Iron man where we are given the background information about the characters, it builds attachment to the characters so that way people actually care about the character. In X-men, we don't get a lot of background info on most of the characters so it is hard to relate to them. On the other hand, the audience is able to relate to Spider man and Iron man because it shows their origins and where they came from. Providing the extra origin information is what really gets people to want to watch a movie.
Julia S
Julia S

Back to top Go down

Post  danny_76 Mon May 07, 2018 5:33 pm

I think origin stories are necessary because it shows us the everyday person before we see the hero. This gives us insight of their lives and how becoming a hero has changed them intensifying the importance becoming super. If we had no origin story, the plot of the story could be small and only consist of action where an origin story sets the tone leading into the action. Without an origin story, its hard to learn about who is being watched. There are advantages and disadvantages of both though. Origin stories help develop plot and tell us about a charcters past but they can also drag on and bore audiences removing possible action. Not using an origin story allows for more action but opens up the possibility of a weak plot with very undeveloped characters.

Sent from Topic'it App
danny_76
danny_76

Back to top Go down

Post  danny_76 Mon May 07, 2018 5:35 pm

In terms of story telling, a good story needs context and an origin story provides just that; stories can't just have action.

Sent from Topic'it App
danny_76
danny_76

Back to top Go down

Post  mattiodapattio Mon May 07, 2018 6:21 pm

I think that both jumping right into the superhero or waiting are both very effective for good story telling. I think if you are going for a darker more rugged past story then the x-men strategy is a better option but if you want to follow a story from beginning to end then the spiderman strategy is better. Personally i prefer an x-men story just because of how flexible the story can be.

Sent from Topic'it App

mattiodapattio

Back to top Go down

Origin story or no origin story?? Empty Re: Origin Story or no Origin Story?

Post  Monahan Tue May 08, 2018 11:31 am

In my eyes, every superhero flick should have some sort of origin story, whether it be an hour until the hero is fully realized, or 15 minutes. It is crucial that the audience at least knows a little bit of the superhero's past, and why they are who they are, fighting bad guys and saving the world. In my opinion, if there isn't any backstory, the writers have failed at doing their job. Unless the characters can display themselves through the fights in their traumatic events or something, you just can't beat a good backstory in a superhero film. However, there are some cons to it as well, that being it takes up to an hour out of the movie entirely based off backstory. This can be problematic, as movies can only run for a certain period of time. Furthermore, I believe that a good backstory only adds on to the character portrayed within the film.

Monahan

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendan schuck Mon May 14, 2018 10:08 am

I prefer having an origin story in superhero films because i get to learn about the character and their personality more to the character especially in Spider-Man because Peter Parker because he is a young high school kid who most people can relate to. From a storytelling perspective I think that having an origin story is better because the audience is able to understand the characters ambitions and feelings. Some advantages of having an origin story would be that as said before the audience gets to know the character and relate to them however a disadvantage would be that the origin story takes up a lot of the movie and takes away from the excitement of the movie. An advantage of not having an origin story would be it leaves mystery for the audience which can be intriguing however this can also be a disadvantage because sometimes the audience might feel left out and not understand what’s going on.

Sent from Topic'it App

Brendan schuck

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine Sim Mon May 14, 2018 7:46 pm

I prefer having an origin story because it makes you really sympathize and care for the main characters. Action is very exciting to watch, but it’s not as emotional when you do not care for the characters at all. It’s interesting to see what the superhero is like before and after they have realized how powerful they truly are. It’s also nice to see how these superheroes mature and become better versions of themselves as time goes on.

Christine Sim

Back to top Go down

Post  jessvautour Tue May 15, 2018 9:39 am

I prefer to have origin stories because it gives us time to get attached to the characters and feel sympathy for them. We see them when they were just regular people and then gradually develop into very powerful beings. If someone, however, wanted to make a film with a whole lot of action, i think a film with no origin story would be the way to go. Instead of half the film being basically character development, start right away with the action. I think this adds a lot old mystery to the characters and it makes you want to learn a lot more about them.

jessvautour

Back to top Go down

Post  Angienunez Tue May 15, 2018 9:45 am

I prefer an orgin story because this allows the audience to connect and learn about the character. This creates a sense of attachment to the characters as people rather than just superheros. learning about the people behind the superheros also shows how their super powers changed their lives completely and made them better people as a whole. An advantage of having an orgin story is that it helps advance the plot but a disadvantage is that it could also bore the audience if it is dragged on for too long. I think that every film should have an orgin story even if it is short and straight to the point.

Angienunez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum