E.T. Phone home

View previous topic View next topic Go down

E.T. Phone home

Post  Polidano on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:13 am

There are many factors that make E.T. such an endearing film, one of which is Spielberg's careful placement of comedic moments.  Which comedic scene in the film is most memorable to you?  Aside from making audiences chuckle, does this scene serve any other purpose? Razz

Polidano
Admin

View user profile http://film.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

RE: E.T. Phone Home

Post  Tommy De La Pena on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Personally, one of the comedic moments within Steven Spielberg's "E.T." that stood out the most for me and is quite memorable is the scene in which Elliot introduces E.T. to his siblings. While the audience does expect that his brother and sister will be shocked by Elliot's new friend, not many would have expected for everyone within this scene to erupt into chaos. It is due to the reactions of Elliot, his siblings', and E.T.'s that make this scene quite hilarious and hard to forget when they finally meet one another. Even though at first this scene seems to be just for laughs, I believe that Steven Spielberg used this moment like many within this film to establish that E.T. does share similarities with humans despite being an alien from a distant planet. This earlier scene is one of the many that depict the extra-terrestrial having emotions just like humans (EX. fear and wonder), thus creating a sense of connection and sympathy for this creature. Which I believe was the intent Spielberg had when making this film. Rather then being simply killer monsters as depicted in past films, aliens could also be similar to human beings in both behavior and actions.

Tommy De La Pena

View user profile

Back to top Go down

E.T. Phone Home

Post  dannyd76 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 pm

In my opinion the scene in the film that I thought was the funniest and most memorable was when E.T. found beer in the fridge and became intoxicated. Meanwhile, Elliott was at school experiencing the exact same sensations which made it even funnier. E.T later was walking around the kitchen and living room drunk while their mom was home and she didn't see him once which was very funny as well. Personally, Spielberg didn't just put it in the movie to make audiences laugh; I think he used it to show how innocent E.T. really is and that he doesn't know much about earthly activities such as drinking alcohol and its effects on the body. Basically it gave a little more context about E.T. That is why I thought the scene was funny and why I thought it had importance.

dannyd76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: E.T. Phone home

Post  Marielle M on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:01 pm

One of the most memorable comedic scenes in the film for me was when E.T got into the fridge while Eliot was in school and got drunk. His behaviour was very funny and the physical comedy was also very well staged such as when E.T gets hit by the refrigerator door when Eliot's mother comes home. The fact that Eliot also experienced the intoxication while he was at school made the scene even funnier as Eliot acted strangely and disruptively in class, eventually leading to him unleashing all the science lab frogs in the school and causing a massive uproar. Besides the comedic relief this scene offers, I believe Spielberg utilizes this scene to demonstrate the psychic connection E.T and Eliot have. When E.T becomes intoxicated, so does Eliot thus demonstrating the concept that whatever happens to E.T happens to Eliot as well as a result of their connection. This idea comes into play throughout the film and Spielberg gives an obvious example of how it functions with this scene which, at first glance, seems purely comedic but actually has a fairly significant role in the plot.

Marielle M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amychristina on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:45 am

A scene that shows just how far the connection goes between Elliot and E.T while also making us laugh is when E.T gets drunk while at home. Being connected to one another, we know that whatever E.T does also happens to Elliot, so Elliot begins to act weirdly at school due to the intoxicated extraterrestrial. This scene expands on their deep rooted bond and it illustrates how they are beyond just being friends, as the relationship between them is so strong that it can take over Elliot's mind and body in a way. The humour that was put into this scene was just the right amount. Though it was quite funny watching E.T stumble through the house and Elliot embarrass himself at school, it broadens our understanding on how deep the connection is between the two friends while also making us feel happy, because a friendship like that will indeed last forever.

amychristina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacob kennedy on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:11 pm

In the film E.T. the scene that made me chuckle the most was when Elliot though E.T. was dead and E.T. woke up and started saying "E.T phone home" over and over again. Yes, it is supposed to be happy scene because E.T. came back but Spielberg managed to still get a crack out the audience. overall there was a lot of scenes that made me laugh in the movie but that scene made me laugh the most.

jacob kennedy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

E.T

Post  Sam Depooter on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 am

Personally, the scene that made me laugh the most was the scene where E.T gets drunk. E.T explores the house in hunger and thirst, and finds the fridge, fI'll ed with beer, so he decides to drink all of them. Since elliot and et are connected, elliot becomes drunk at school and does silly things like burp out loud, etc. This is the scene that made me laugh the most in the film E.T.

Sam Depooter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

E.T

Post  Paolo12 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:14 am

Personally, one of the scenes that Steven Spielberg's "E.T." stood out to me and is when Elliot introduces E.T. to his brother and sister. This is an important scene to remember and is definitely one of the interesting scenes in the movie. I expected that his brother and sister would be shocked and freak out by Elliot's new friend. It was funny to see E.T. Elliot's brother and sister meet each other and see their reactions. This really made the scene better because it made us as the audience laugh and was very good. Steven Spielberg used this moment like many in this film to show that E.T. does share similarities with humans despite being an alien from a planet far away.

Paolo12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ET Phone Home

Post  zoyadavis on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:32 pm

One of the most memorable scenes in the film ET that cause comic relief, is when ET and Elliot got drunk. In this scene, you understand that ET and Elliot are connected, they have this special bond that allows them to experience the same emotions as each other. ET is getting his barring of the house and find something to eat when he drinks the beer. Elliot seems to be trying to just be getting by in his class, as well as his life, and then you see the symptoms of intoxication. They also have a movie that ET is watching on the TV and Elliot mimics the actions of the movie. You also see that Elliot has compassion for the frog in his science class, it mirrors the way that Elliot feels about Keys and him taking way ET and cutting him up to study him. Even at that young age he is able to grasp the concept that no one will be as connect, invested or care about issues as much as you. This scene make you think about the connection and deep friendship that they shared and that it was more than just a drink, it was a mental and physical union.

zoyadavis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Funniest E.T Moment

Post  marlonG99 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:09 pm

The moment that was funny for me was when both E.T and Elliot were drunk. This scene was funny but also served a purpose, which was showing the symbiotic connection between E.T and Elliot. Both protagonists experience what the other is feeling, and this will later be utilized during the ending of the film. This scene set a foundation in the film that will be later utilized in the film like when both Elliot and E.T got sick simultaneously. This scene not only show a symbiotic relationship between both protagonists but it shows how they both rely in each other to survive.

marlonG99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top