CARRIE - Who's to blame?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CARRIE - Who's to blame?

Post  Polidano on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Who is to blame for Carrie's actions—her mother? Her classmates? Carrie herself? Someone else? No one at all?

Polidano
Admin

View user profile http://film.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Carrie who's to blame?

Post  dannyd76 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:21 pm

In my opinion its Carrie's mom to blame. Carrie was born with those powers and that is no one's fault but Carrie's mom would religiously bully her for doing nothing; Carrie's mom hit her made her pray to creepy Jesus, accused her of worshiping the devil, and accused her of sinning for having her period which is a normal thing for girls her age. Carrie's mom does not once at all show love and or compassion towards her daughter throughout the movie. Carrie's mom should've supported Carrie instead of accusing her of worshiping the devil. Carrie's mom literally forced her daughter to be evil because Carrie probably became fed up with her mom bullying her about praying to God. Carrie was bullied at school and was scared to console in her mom, in fact when Carrie told her mom that she was invited to the prom her mom got mad about something that should be good. Carrie's mom is to blame for the massacre because Carrie was religiously abused and wasn't loved as a human being should be loved forcing Carrie to act out in spite of her mom making it her mom's fault.

dannyd76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CARRIE - Who's to blame?

Post  cerezok on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:59 pm

I personally think Carrie's mom is to blame. Carrie's mother is mentally disabled, she is a religious person who claims to follow the rules of god, she physically abuses her daughter and says ridiculous things to her which as a result makes Carrie not know what is right or wrong. Although she was born with evil powers she would've been able to control it if she was raised right and with love and the support from her mother.

cerezok

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: CARRIE- Who's To Blame?

Post  Tommy De La Pena on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:55 pm

Personally, I believe that Carrie's Mom is the one to blame for her actions. Once she is introduced in the film, it is made clear to the audience that she is unusual compared to other residents within their small town. Becoming a fanatical christian since her husband left her, Mrs. White has become quite delusional and is treated somewhat like an outcast by her fellow townspeople. While she does not have much influence over others, she appears to dictate how her daughter lives and disciplines her in crude and cruel methods (As depicted by forcefully isolating her within a closet for not praying properly to God). By providing us a glimpse into Carrie's daily life, the audience is able to figure out that she has been abused for many years by her Mother. Which probably resulted in Carrie developing a timid and fragile personality due to the abuse she received and also a lack of understanding of certain things, such as a girl's period once they reach their teen years. It is due to this personality Carrie developed and her well-known bizarre Mother that she is also treated as a freak and an outcast by many students in her school. Had she received proper love, discipline, and knowledge from a Mother that acted normally and caring towards her, it could have been possible for the young girl to fit in with society despite having bizarre powers and remain calm and collected even if she was treated differently by her fellow classmates. Due to this, I think Mrs. White is responsible.

Tommy De La Pena

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reema_balouch on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Carrie's mother played a big role in how Carrie transitioned in the end as a person. She has been living with her delusional mother who became overly religious after her husband left her for another woman. This caused Carrie's life to be a living oxymoron as her mother locked her in a closet to pray for naturally having her period and accused her of worshipping the devil. She was living in hell and didn't know any better because her own mother didn't take up the responsibility to teach her daughter that having a period is normal. After Carrie found out that she had mind powers it was very confusing for her and when she told her mother her mother did not even accept or attempt to understand her, but forced her to not use her powers and renounce the devil. Carrie also had no father and no friends because her mother shunned her from the world. Carrie was very alone in this world and had no one to turn to except the gym teacher who eventually failed her in the end by laughing when blood was poured on her. Even when Carries was asked to the prom by Tommy she was very apprehensive because she thought he was trying to prank her until he pestered her to say yes. Carrie had major trust issues and was beginning to ease up and could've had a better life until Chris poured the blood on her which caused the whole school to erupt in laughter. Carrie then realized that no one was genuinely nice or cared about her and she murdered everyone in her sight. In the end Carrie comes home and tells her mother that she was right this whole time and the other kids laughed at her. Her mother being her last resort and safe haven even attempted to kill Carrie which made Carrie realized she could trust no one. She killed her own mother and was so full of emotion that the whole house fell down and eventually killed her as well. The students did indeed play a big role in depicting Carrie's actions, but her mother defiantly had been the last push before Carrie lost all sanity.

reema_balouch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sophie sorhaitz on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:35 pm

I think carries mom is to blame because she was way too protective over Carrie and she never let Carrie do anything that other normal teenagers would do. Carrie had q problem but her mom never realized Or never tried to help her she just tried to pray away her problems instead of actually helping her understand what was happening to her and get her through it. So that wasn't helpful to carries situation.

sophie sorhaitz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Who's to blame

Post  zoyadavis on Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:53 pm

I think Carrie herself is to blame for her actions. Even though the society around you influences your social norms it is up to the individual for what there end result is. People can live in terrible environments and still come out okay, she let herself succumb to the impulsive actions she felt at the time. Her anger and frustration was left unattended and at her most fragile moment she acted on it. Carrie's mom's preconceived ideas didn't help with Carrie's final decision, he needling and the thought she planted in Carrie's head about her classmates and their opinions didn't help when Carrie tore apart that gym.

zoyadavis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amychristina on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:03 pm

I would have to say that Carrie's mother is mainly responsible for Carrie's actions while her classmates do play a part in what she's done and been through. Carrie's mom is strictly religious and puts it before herself and even Carrie, making sure Carrie always repeats phrases from the bible and prays though we can see her dislike and frustration towards it all. The ways of her mother affect her and her social life, as her mom never told her about a girl's period and is always sheltering away from things that would not hurt or harm Carrie, but she does it because its not the way of the bible, of course. Putting your faith into the bible before your own daughter is what makes her socially unacceptable to her peers and classmates, and the whole situation is made worse when everyone picks on her and calls her "Creepy Carrie" though she is just being herself. Carrie is not hurting others in any way and does not deserve all the torment she gets, we see that a fellow classmate Sue Snell realizes all this and does her best to make sure Carrie has a good time at the prom. Snell's good deed was sadly not enough, though, as the pig's blood gets dumped on her by some other nasty kids, leaving poor Carrie humiliated and upset. On her last nerve with her classmates, her social life, her mother, and all her bottled up emotions, she does what she believes is correct and uses her telekinesis to kill everyone. If Carrie had had more support and respect at home instead of being treated like an evil being or shunned for having womanly problems, maybe Carrie would've been able to rationalize with herself before killing everyone, but she couldn't tell what was wrong from right anyways.

amychristina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paolo12 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:07 pm

I believe it's Carrie herself to blame. Dispite her mother not supporting Carrie and hitting her and being so religious and strict, she was born with her powers and cannot get rid of it. Her school mates bully Carrie from the begin of the movie because of the incident and she's not the most likable or popular character. Carries actions led to killing all her school mates, the teacher who liked Carrie and even her mother. Carrie controls what she does and it's her to blame.

Paolo12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacob kennedy on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:05 pm

I think the person to blame here is her mother and the kids that have bullied her over the years had finally got her. Carrie herself was a nice and quit girl that didn't bother anyone but the ways of here mother and what her mother tells her and how her classmates tormented her Carrie finally snapped and she couldn't take it anymore. So if there is anyone to blame it is her classmates and her mother. Yes Carrie killed all those people that hurt her or good people that didn't and her mother , they were the people that provoked that and pushed Carrie to limit she couldn't take it anymore.

jacob kennedy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marielle M on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:35 pm

Carrie's mother and her classmates are the ones who are primarily responsible for Carrie's actions. Carrie herself is a quiet, non-aggressive person who without the torment she was subjected to would have never lashed out the way she did. It was the bullying by her classmates and constant abuse from her mother that ultimately led Carrie to lash out and use her powers to destroy the prom and murder those present. Although Carrie was the one ultimately in control of her powers and actions, she was faced with forces and emotions that overwhelmed her self-control and led to her using her powers to negative effect. Without the bullying and abuse, Carrie would have never lost control the way she did, so the ones causing her trauma are ultimately the ones to blame.

Marielle M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carrie's Fault or Someone Else?

Post  marlonG99 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:15 am

I believe both Carrie and her community are at fault because her mother pushed her religious beliefs forcefully into Carrie causing a more traumatizing experience and not of a loving/ caring motherly experience. Her Classmates are also at fault, not only does her mom abuse her but her classmates verbally and physically bully her, like her mom. The whole student body doesn't even acknowledge or help Carrie's situation for years. At the end of the film Carrie herself was to blame, due to her killing her mom, boyfriend and classmates out of a fit of rage of several years of abuse but her actions due justify that she did this to just release her anger.

marlonG99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  angelG on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:44 pm

In my opinion Carrie's mother and classmates were the biggest factors in what happened at the prom. I think this because her mom always tried to push away Carrie's powers and tell her they were wrong and sinful which made them even stronger and more powerful at the end. Carrie's classmates who always tormented her for not fitting in (mostly because of her mother not letting her have friends or anything) pushed her even more. In the end it was her classmates who dumped the pig blood on her and it was her mother who made her violent. Carrie made her own actions but they were basically out of her control by the psychological state of torment and humiliation she was in.

angelG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graemelynch on Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:35 pm

In my opinion, a combination of all the people in Carrie's life can be blamed for her behavior at the prom. Beginning with her mom, under all that verbal abuse (telling her she's going to hell and calling her the devil and such) any sane person would be turned insane under that amount of mental stress. I would also blame Chris and her group for not only making her feel unwelcome and rejected at school, but also being the "switch" that set her off at prom. I don't think that I would completely blame Carrie herself as, if any regular person were in such a position where they were being "abused" at home and at school, making me feel like a reject in all aspects of their life, they would be bound to "crack" at some point. Although that is the case, I would still place some blame on Carrie as even though you may justify her being set off, I don't think that she can use bullying as an excuse for the massacre of all her peers and mother.

Graemelynch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top