Untouchables - The Train Station Scene

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Untouchables - The Train Station Scene

Post  Polidano on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:23 am

The train station scene at the end of the film is very suspenseful - go over the techniques used by director Brian De Palma to achieve this?  Which of these affected you most?

Polidano
Admin

View user profile http://film.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Train scene in Untouchables

Post  marlonG99 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:14 pm

In the train scene in the Untouchables, the director Brian De Palma used various close up shots, wide shots, low angles, birds eye view, mid shots when Capone's men were being shot. These shots were utilized to show how suspenseful and action pact this scene is.

marlonG99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Untouchables - The Train Station Scene

Post  amychristina on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:07 pm

In the Train Station scene of the Untouchables, De Palma catches our attention with various camera angles and shots including birds eye view, low angles, wide view, close up, etc. The music in this scene is high pitched and fills us with suspense of what might happen next, but out of all these different techniques which were used, the one that got me the most had to be the slow motion. Slowing down the shootout to let us watch and observe everything that went on at once stressed me right out, as I kept asking myself about who was going to die, is the baby okay, will George or the bookkeeper survive, and more.

amychristina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Train Station Scene

Post  Marielle M on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:45 pm

What really struck me about the scene was the extensive set-up to the action, and then how slowly the action progressed. Everything was done in slow motion which stretched out the physical conflict and made it much more suspenseful. Another creative decision that I noticed was that in the set-up phase, Eliot Ness never speaks. The only dialogue is from the woman to her child and the passing civilians. I felt this added a level of tension to the scene as everything Ness was thinking was contained and could only be inferred from his facial expressions and body language leading up to when he goes to help the woman.

Marielle M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Untouchables the train station scene

Post  dannyd76 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:54 pm

Some techniques De Palma used to make the scene suspenseful was making the scene slow motion, the fact that the audience had to focus on three different situations going on in the same room at the same time, and the music played in the scene was very slow like the scene keeping you on the edge of your seat. A baby was falling down the stairs and the fact that he could've died makes it much more suspenseful as well. The scene had a lot of importance because there was an asset in the case as well so if they didn't end up attaining him they may not have put Capone behind bars. The fact that he uses different camera angles such as eye level and birds eye gives you a perception of the scene from different places. There is very little dialogue so it means that the viewer must infer what they are thinking giving them a new level of feeling. These things make the train station scene suspenseful.

dannyd76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacob kennedy on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:36 pm

Brian De Palma made the made the train scene very suspenseful by using techniques like birds eye view, low angles, high angles, angles basically from every direction, and slow motion witch really impacted the scene slowing down the time made it even more suspenseful because it is taking a long time for you know what is going to happen.

jacob kennedy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

train sscene

Post  Hannahtamlin7 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:46 pm

this was a suspensful scene because it dragged out for so long. the director made everything seem so slow and made it seem like it last for hours. you can see how stressed out ness is through out the whole scene which makes the viewers stressed as well. the baby part is probably one of the most effective parts to make the audience stressed because you dont want anything to happen to the baby while he was falling down the stairs and you want ness to safe him.

Hannahtamlin7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: Train Station Scene

Post  Tommy De La Pena on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Two techniques that stood out for me were the use of various types of camera shots and the slow motion incorporated near the end of the scene. Brian De Palma excellently uses these two techniques to create the sense of suspense that quickly overcomes the audience, the rising tension instantly escalating once Elliot Ness enters the scene. With the use of both subjective and close-up shots (Among some others-establishing shot of the train station etc), we quickly are put in the shoes of Elliot Ness and sympathize with how he feels as he stares nervously at his surroundings. The close-up shots displaying his face covered with both fear and unease as he scans for any threats and his target. However, the technique that causes the feeling of suspense to sky rocket is the slow motion that is used when the Baby's carriage begins to hurtle down the stairs of the station. While we were given some relief a few seconds before with Elliot helping the Mother to leave the station before a shoot-out would begin, the gangsters suddenly arrive. This is when he loses his grip on the carriage, allowing it to hurtle uncontrollably to the bottom of the stairs. While it would be suspenseful to see it fall in real time, the tension is increased drastically as the scene is slowed down. Which gives time for the audience to question and wonder who is actually going to die in this scene, thus increasing the suspense significantly as the audience is uncertain of what will happen in the next few seconds. Due to this, this technique was the one that influenced me the most.

Tommy De La Pena

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Untouchables

Post  zoyadavis on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:18 pm

In the Untouchable, the direction Daniel De Palma use music and slow motion to make an impactful Union Station scene. The music in the scene starts off soft and sweet like a lullaby, and that accompanied by the nervous face Ness make, keeps the audience on edge. This contrast makes the audience on edge and waiting for the inevitable shoot out between the two opposing teams. When the baby falls down the stair we the audience are in suspense because we can see how torn Ness is between achieving his mission and saving the child be potential kills in the process. We the audience are also torn because we understand how important it is for him to succeed but was also see how helpless the mother is and child when the struggle to get up the stairs in the beginning of the scene.

zoyadavis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reema_balouch on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:54 am

This 9 minute train station scene was one of the most suspenseful scenes I've ever witnessed in any movie. The many elements and camera angles used causes the audience to be on the edge of their seats for the whole duration of the scene. Director Brian De Palma used many shots such as close ups when we got to see the reaction of the characters. For example Elliot's face as he constantly looks down at the struggling mother and her child. This made me sit at the edge of me seat because I felt nervous that the baby was going to be a big distraction and that he would get unexpectedly targeted. Then the baby's smiling face as he unknowingly almost falls to his death before he is saved by an untouchable. As there are gun shots being fired in every direction and a screaming mother is seen the contrast of an innocent baby's smile makes the scene even darker because he doesn't know what's going on. As people are being killed they always flashback to the baby's face and the rolling of the wheels until we are finally relieved that he is safe. Lastly, another close up shot we see was the book keepers concerned and terrified face as the man who was threatening to kill him gets shot in the head. His blood is on the wall and the book keeper is scared he could've been next, but knows that he has been caught and all that's left to do is give in. Birds eye view and subjective shots were being taken as Ness stared down at the baby below him. Other shots used were wide shots, medium shots. Low angles and close shots. The music also caused a lot of suspense as we hear a sweet, but distracting lullaby being played then later we can hear suspenseful music as the gangsters walk in and Ness is suspicious of them to when the killings happen. The silences and abrupt music change enhanced the suspense of the scenes. The little dialogue also made us focus more on what was going on and the action taken place instead of what was being said. The scene also extensive and carefully dragged out to create more suspense because the audience never know when something was going to happen. Every time a new person came into the station we wouldn't know if they were gangsters and who to trust. The techniques that affected me the most are the camera angles used because we got to see through the characters perspective and the close up make the characters emotions raw and suspenseful. Secondly, the suspenseful music and prolonged shots before the scene got to what we wanted to see. The fact that it was very long and every time you think something would happen the music would change amplified suspense for me.

reema_balouch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sophie sorhaitz on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:11 am

Brian De Palma used many different cameras angles and techniques to make th train station scene suspenseful like close up shots, low angles, birds eye view, mid shots and wide one. The scene was very long and slow which made it the most suspenseful for me. Also the music added good effects to keep the audience at the edge of their seats.

sophie sorhaitz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CarterP on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:57 pm

In my opinion the most affective technique De Palma used was the music and sound, when Ness arrived at the station the background music was intense and suspenseful. Another thing about the music was that it dragged out for so long so it pulled you to the edge of your seat for something to happen. It picked up more and more as more people were brought into the scene wondering who the book keeper was and what will happen with the mother and child.

CarterP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Depooter on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 pm

The movie used several different shots to make the scene very suspenseful. De Palma uses slow motion to make the scene have more meaning and used a baby falling down a flight of stairs while there was a gun fight going on to make the scene have more impact. Both of these techniques show how a director can make a scene more suspenseful.

Sam Depooter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Untouchables

Post  Paolo12 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:39 am

Brian De Palma used a variety of interesting shots that made the movie very suspenseful. He used wide shots, low angles, birds eye view, close up shots and mid shots all during the train station scene when Capone's men were being shot. It was very suspenseful because of the music that was used and it made me wonder who was going to die next.

Paolo12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cerezok on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Brian De Palma's train station scene towards the end of the film was probably one of my favourite scenes because of the suspense it gave me. De Palma used techniques such as; close up shots, establishing shots a pan which leaves the audience at the edge of their seat. Not to mention the music just makes everything even better. The music goes from subtle when the camera focuses on the baby in the stroller to intense keeping the audiences adrenaline pumping.

cerezok

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top