Father Austin Film Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yellow or Not? What do you think?

3 posters

Go down

Yellow or Not?  What do you think? Empty Yellow or Not? What do you think?

Post  Polidano Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Does Rocky Sullivan really go to the electric chair a "yellow rat"? Or, does he do as Father Jerry asks - Does he pretend to be scared and beg for mercy so that the group of young boys who idolize him might now deny him and be spared a criminal's life? What do you think? Use examples from the film to back up your position.

Polidano
Admin

https://film.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Yellow or Not?  What do you think? Empty Re: Yellow or Not? What do you think?

Post  Guest Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:31 pm

I think that he did as father jerry asked him to. I think that he just wanted the boys to have a better life and not end up like him on death row. I think he did what father asked him to because at the end when father went to see the boys he was like ok let's go pray so I think that, that's what rockey was planning for the children after and he suspected that father would recruite them to the church life

Back to top Go down

Yellow or Not?  What do you think? Empty Is Rocky Yellow or Not?

Post  Guest Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:05 pm

I think that Rocky isn't actually yellow he just died yellow because Father Jerry asked him to for the sake of the young group of boys who idolized rocky. There is a scene in the movie right before Rocky meets his death where Father Jerry asks him to die a coward so the boys will end up having no respect for Rocky because he died a coward. Rocky originally says no because dignity was all Rocky had left but in the end I think Rocky thought to himself that he wouldn't want any of the boys to live a life like Rocky did so he acted a coward to put the boys on the right path. Rocky as a person isn't a coward he just acted that way so the boys would change their ways and look up to a good person.

Back to top Go down

Post  jacob kennedy Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:27 pm

I think that Rocky acted yellow when he died because father specifically asked him to. It wouldn't be like a guy rocky Sullivan to die yellow because of the stuff he has been through in his life it just doesn't make sense. Also the reason he did it was for the boys , he did it so they would think bad of him and his lifestyle making them think that they would never want to follow the footsteps of rocky because in the end you will regret it, even though rocky might have not felt that way he knew it was best for the boys.

jacob kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:01 pm

I believe that Sullivan did as Father Jerry had asked of him, and pretended to die a coward for the sake of the boys. Part of me wants to think of it as a genuine reaction, but when someone lives as dangerously as Rocky, usually they tend not to fear death. So, to make one last good deed for his best friend, he died "Yellow" so that the boys would learn not to follow in Sullivan's footsteps and turn their lives around for the better.

Back to top Go down

Yellow or Not?  What do you think? Empty Yellow? Or not?

Post  Guest Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:06 pm

I think in those last minutes before Rocky died he knew how much he mattered to those boys. As well as the fact that after he left he wouldn't mean much to the world. Sure right after his death he would be know for being the bad gangster he was in his days, but he also knew it would be better for those boys to live a life where you didn't have to worry if everyone was double crossing you. He wasn't yellow, on many occasions he didn't run from those bullets but ran towards them, and i find it hard to believe that the moment before he was electrocuted he felt afraid.

Back to top Go down

Yellow or Not?  What do you think? Empty Did Rocky die a "yellow rat"

Post  Guest Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:50 pm

Rocky didn't go to the electric chair as a yellow rat but he does what Father Jerry asks him to do, as a friend rocky is loyal to a fault and will honor his request. I believe rocky was brave, he knew that the kids idolized him and might end up the same way. It was very honorable in a sense that he had act the way he did in front of the jury to send a message to the "angels" on the newspaper so that he can spare them from a criminal's life and live a better life. Also he knew Father Jerry could help the kids lead a better a life than his.

Back to top Go down

Yellow or Not?  What do you think? Empty Rocky is not a coward

Post  Guest Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:19 am

I believe that Rocky faked his cowardice in order to save the children from following in his footsteps. Throughout the film, Rocky was shown to never be someone who would back down from a fight. In the very beginning of the film when Rocky is caught, he never wavers in taking all the blame so his friend can go free. He also fights back when the hit is ordered on him and even returns to the office of the man who ordered him killed even though that was possibly the most dangerous place he could have gone. Rocky was never one to flee from danger, even when his life was at stake, so I find it difficult to believe that after all of this, he would be that terrified of going to the electric chair.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:35 pm

I believe that rocky faked it because he wanted the kids to not end up like him. I think he also did that because the priest his friend wanted him to prove to the kids that even if ur big and stuff you will always show so sort of weakness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:53 am

Right from the beginning we quickly discover that Rocky is a risk taker. Stealing is a criminal offence, but proceeds to commit the crime knowing he could potentially get caught. Even after he gets caught he is not afraid to take all the blame for his best friend Jerry and even goes to jail so he doesn't have to. In later events Rocky becomes a target to be assassinated because he wants another man, who made a promise to him a long time ago, give him money that he promised. He is able to escape death by having another take his place to get shot. He then goes back to the mans who wants to kill him joint to ask him for money again. This is a very bold and dangerous event he decides to partake in which later leads the plot to a massive shoutout and him being chased by the cops. At the end Rocky is surrounded by an abundance of police men who are all trying to shoot him, but he doesn't give up. Him alone against the law still manages to keep himself not captured with only 2 guns. He only decides to give in when Jerry comes up to get him, but being the clever gangster he is he uses it to his advantage as a last resort to escape the police. He is almost successful until he gets shot in the leg and tries to continue to run and even throws his guns at officers. Within the last 10 minutes of his time he even tries to assault a cop for making comments about him. Rocky confesses to Jerry that he is not afraid to die and compares the situation to getting a shave at the barbers. At first Rocky disputes Jerrys request of turning yellow. With his last moments and dignity being all he had left I believe Rocky was never actually yellow and just acted in order for those kids to be disappointed in him. He did the right thing to save those kids from ending up like him and in the end he realizes him. Those boys potentially having a better life meant more to him than his legacy to the world. This concludes that Rocky indeed only acted yellow and shows that he has a heart for those he cares about. Lastly, Rocky is fearless and gutless that not even death terrifies him.

Back to top Go down

Yellow or Not?  What do you think? Empty Re: Yellow or not?

Post  Guest Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:13 pm

While it may seem that he had gone to the electric chair as a yellow rat, one simply needs to look at Rocky Sullivan's past exploits throughout the film to realize that it was all an act for his friend, Jerry Connolly. Rocky has displayed his bravery countless times, some of these examples being when he attempted theft at such a young age and dared to face his associates who had attempted to assassinate him later in the movie rather then choosing to turn tail and run. However, the moment that defines Rocky as a human that knows no fear is the scene before his execution. After killing his associates to protect his friend, Rocky is pursued by the police and is forced to take refuge in a small building with no escape routes available. Despite him being clearly outmanned and outgunned, Rocky decides to resist the police. Fighting them back with only two guns, Rocky is clearly prepared to die in this scene as a legend. For if he was truly a coward, he would have immediately surrendered to the police rather then suffering the pain of the tear gas and his wounds that he endured. Continuing on, Rocky does not die thanks to Jerry convincing him to lay down his arms. While it is seen as a cowardice act for Rocky to use his friend as a hostage soon after, he quickly redeems himself by throwing his friend out of harms way. Rocky could have clearly continued to use his friend as a human shield to secure his escape, but decides not to do so and decides to take matters into his own hands. It is due to these scenes that I believe Rocky had acted as yellow rat in order to make it up to his friend and for the sake of the kids, deciding to do at least one good deed before his death.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:21 pm

I personally think that Rocky Sullivan did what Father Jerry told him to do because he wanted the kids who idolized him to live a better life and to not end up like him.

Back to top Go down

Yellow or Not?  What do you think? Empty yellow or not?

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:39 pm

i think that rocky does die a yellow rat. i think he was truly scared to die because he knew how much bad he did and he thought he might have to go to hell. in the movie just before he is about to die you hear him yell "i do not want to burn in hell". i think that throughout the entire movie rocky knew that he was doing bad and knew that he was not a good guy and he did not like it but it was too late he was already in too deep. i think he started off being a bad guy because it was cool and he wanted to impress people, but as he got older he really started to regret it and thats why he died a yellow rat because he wished he would have turned his life around and behaved better.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Rocky realized how much the kids looked up to him and after all the bad he as done in his life the last thing he'd leave behind is some good (faking his cowardness). He was not yellow when he died he faked it because he truly cared about Father Jerry and the children and did not want them to follow into his footsteps and have the same fate as him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Depooter Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:24 pm

I think Rocky did not die yellow because he was a gangster who had been through situations that were close to death before. I think he did as the Father told him to, because why would he cry and scream right before the killing and why not while he was walking down the hall, where he looked intense.

Sam Depooter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:19 am

I think that Rocky Sullivan did as Father Jerry asked him to do, and faked to die a coward for the sake of the boys. He did not die yellow because he did as father asked him and cared for the boys, they looked up to Rocky so he tried to show the children the good way to take things and to go down the right path.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:42 am

In my opinion Rocky did not die yellow. Firstly because he was a hard criminal who had been through thin and thick, and for him to scream in the face of death is very unlikely for a man of his nature. Secondly he wanted be a good influence over the children after the priest told him to do so, and alter them from becoming a criminal like himself and making the kids live a better life. Lastly was how he got himself caught by the police, he had used his friend as a shield but made it up by sacrificing himself to save his friend. This shows how rocky has a soft spot for the people he loves, but still maintains his tough fearless nature even in the face of death.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum